I have been meaning to write a post on RAN functional splits and even make a video. Recently I came across multiple of these things so I am taking a shortcut by posting them here.
The first is this basic introductory video from Parallel Wireless where they explain why you need RAN splits providing examples of various functional splits for 4G and 5G mobile networks. It is embedded below:
The next one is slightly detailed video from the book “5G Radio Access Network Architecture: The Dark Side of 5G” by Sasha Sirotkin (Editor). I wrote a review of the book here and Sasha kindly made a video for our channel which is embedded below:
Finally, RCR Wireless published an article looking at the 5G functional splits in detail, by Ankur Sharma, Associate Vice President, Product Management and Strategy, Radisys. The article ‘Exploring functional splits in 5G RAN: Tradeoffs and use cases’ is available here.
Feel free to suggest other videos, articles, etc. in comments.
- 3G4G: Book review – 5G Radio Access Network Architecture: The Dark Side of 5G by Sasha Sirotkin (Editor)
- The 3G4G Blog: The Status of 5G Standalone (5G SA) Networks – March 2021
- The 3G4G Blog: Initiative to Remove Non-inclusive terms from 3GPP Specifications
- The 3G4G Blog: Everything you need to know about 5G Security
- The 3G4G Blog: Open RAN Explanation, Videos, White papers and Other Resources
- The 3G4G Blog: Free 6G Training