In the recent 5G World event, Richard Band, Head of 5G Core, HPE talked about 4G to 5G transition planning. During the talk he mentioned about UDICOM, which is the Standardised new interface between HSS and UDM as defined in 3GPP TS 23.632.
5G Security, Openness, and Trust Considerations: How an open and transparent 5G core design can bolster confidence – A joint paper written by @mobileworldlive and @HPE – https://t.co/XkJHUaaGTM#Free5Gtraining #5G #5GNetwork #5GC #5GCore #HPE #MWL #Security #5GSecurity pic.twitter.com/NWVgnl9INQ
— 5G Training (@5Gtraining) September 6, 2020
UDICOM allows operators to deploy separate HSS and UDM, even from different vendors. Supported features include:
- Single Registration Handover
- SMS over NAS
3GPP TS 23.632 (Technical Specification Group Core Network and Terminals; User data interworking, coexistence and migration; Stage 2; Release 16) does not use the term UDICOM. It does however describe the interface details, system architecture, system procedures and network function service procedures of UDM-HSS interface.
As can be seen in the picture above, the following reference points are realized by service-based interfaces:
NU1: Reference point between the HSS and the UDM.
NU2: Reference point between the HSS and the 5GS-UDR.
The following Service based interfaces are defined for direct UDM-HSS interworking:
Nudm: Service-based interface exhibited by UDM.
Nhss: Service-based interface exhibited by HSS.
I am not going in more details here but anyone wanting to learn more about the interface should start with 3GPP TS 23.632.
Finally, this talk from HP Enterprise below provides more details of UDICOM.
- The 3G4G Blog – Tutorial: Service Based Architecture (SBA) for 5G Core (5GC)
- The 3G4G Blog: Two Types of SMS in 5G
- The 3G4G Blog: 5G Roaming with SEPP (Security Edge Protection Proxy)
- The 3G4G Blog: 5G eXtended Reality (5G-XR) in 5G System (5GS)
- The 3G4G Blog: 5G and Fixed-Mobile Convergence (FMC)
- Connectivity Technology Blog: Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) and the Path to 5G Wireless Wireline Convergence (WWC)
- The 3G4G Blog: 5G Network Architecture Options (Updated)
- The 3G4G Blog: What about 5G Network Architecture Option 4 (a.k.a. NE-DC) ?
- The 3G4G Blog: Would 5G NSA undergo Sunset? When?